Individuals who successfully meet all requirements of this practicum are able to:
- Identify the characteristics of dyslexia and related language-based learning disabilities.
- Use assessments to identify students with word-level deficits who are appropriate for an intensive intervention.
- Appropriately pace a student through the Upper Steps of the WRS curriculum, developing mastery of material taught, designing lessons that focus on accuracy, automatic, and fluent word and text reading.
- Develop lessons to support the progression of comprehension skills, moving a student from foundational and initial phases to secondary and proficient phases.
- Accurately teach the structure of the English language (presented in WRS Steps 7-12): consonant & vowel phonemes, syllable structure, common orthographic rules and advanced spelling patterns including spelling option procedures, and word elements such as common Latin and Greek bases, prefixes, and suffixes, etc.
- Further deepen the skills developed in Level I Certification.
Participants who have successfully completed this course are specialized in implementing all Steps of the WRS program, but are not considered WRS Level II Certified unless they have completed all four advanced courses.
Materials (Required – 4th Edition) – visit https://store.wilsonlanguage.com/ to purchase
- WRS Instructor Manual Steps 7-12 (digital access provided with practicum course)
- WADE (Wilson Assessment of Decoding and Encoding)
- WRS Rules Notebook Steps 1-12
- WRS Dictation Book Steps 7-12 (digital access provided with practicum course)
- WRS Letter-Sound Cards
- WRS Word Element and Syllable Cards Steps 7-12 (coming soon)
- WRS Student Readers Steps 7-12 (Steps 7-9 currently available)
- WRS Magnetic Journal with Phoneme Tiles
- Spell Checking Technology or Dictionary (not provided by WLT)
- WRS Level I Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field
- Current enrollment in or completion of WRS Advanced Word Study: Online Course (Steps 7-12) within the past 3 years
- Must be completed within 15 months from start date
- At least 50 practicum lessons with an approved practicum student
Price: $1475 per person