Individuals who successfully meet all requirements of this practicum are able to:
- Identify the characteristics of dyslexia and related language-based learning disabilities.
- Use assessments to identify students with word-level deficits who are appropriate for an intensive intervention in a small, homogeneous group setting.
- Diagnostically plan and deliver group lessons, while addressing and understanding individual student weaknesses that impact the ability to learn to read and write.
- Plan and conduct group lessons that address the individual needs within the group, and foster a positive instructional climate with clearly established rules and routines.
- Guide students to correct errors through questioning and use of their notebooks.
- Appropriately pace a group of students through the curriculum, developing mastery of material taught, designing group lessons that focus on accuracy, automaticity, and fluency of word and text reading.
- Effectively utilize multisensory structured language (MSL) instructional techniques, and demonstrate explicit teaching, modeling, guided practice, appropriate feedback, and consistent review in lessons in the group setting.
- Deepen skills developed in the WRS Level I Certification.
Participants who have successfully completed this course are specialized in implementing WRS in a small-group setting, but are not considered WRS Level II Certified unless they have completed all four advanced courses.
Materials (Required) – visit https://store.wilsonlanguage.com/ to purchase
- WRS Introductory Set Steps 1-6, 4th Edition, containing instructor and student materials
- WRS Student Readers Steps 1-6 (one set per student)
- WRS Student Portfolio (one per student)
- WRS Magnetic Journal with Phoneme Tiles (one per student)
- WRS End-of-Step Assessment Materials (one per student)
- Blank index cards
- Pocket chart for Letter-Sound Cards and Word Element Syllable Cards (or magnetic tape for cards if using a magnetic board)
- WRS Level I Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field
- Current enrollment in or completion of WRS Advanced Strategies for Multisensory Structured Language (MSL) Group Instruction Course within the past 3 years
- Must be completed within 15 months from start date
- At least 50 practicum lessons
Price: $700 per person